Pages

Monday 25 July 2016

Pulpfest 2016 - a few photos

Attended Pulpfest 2016. Not going to write up a full report when Walker Martin does such a great job, just thought I'd share a few photos to whet your appetite.

The vendor room moved this year to a place with much better lighting.

Pulpfest 2016 - Vendor Room
Pulpfest 2016 - Vendor Room



Pulpfest 2016 - Vendor Room
Pulpfest 2016 - Vendor Room

Lots of bargains there:


Pulpfest 2016 - Bargains galore
Pulpfest 2016 - Bargains galore


Some interesting pulps I saw there:

Flash Gordon magazine/comic hybrid and a Black Mask with a Raymond Chandler story
Flash Gordon magazine/comic hybrid and a Black Mask with a Raymond Chandler story





























Gangster Stories - a Clayton pulp that I've never seen before
Gangster Stories - a Clayton pulp that I've never seen before



Underworld Detective - another pulp that I've never seen before

Another interesting Pulpfest tradition - cakes in the Pulpfest themes:



Pulpfest 2016 - Cakes
Pulpfest 2016 - Cakes




Some very interesting talks there:

The Artists of THE ARGOSY —  120 Years of Sensational Pulp Artists by David Saunders. who was presented with the Lamont award there for his service to the pulp community. A great talk with lots of interesting titbits about the artists and the magazine. Munsey believed in hiring a team and giving them a free hand.

I missed these because I was too tired, people told me they were good:

A Century of the Specialty Pulp — LOVE STORY MAGAZINE and the Romance Pulp Phenomenon (Laurie Powers)


Laurie Powers won the Munsey award
Laurie Powers won the Munsey award



A Century of the Specialty Pulp — WESTERN STORY MAGAZINE and the Evolution of the Pulp Western (Walker Martin/Ed Hulse)

And here's a photo that I took at this talk by Doug Ellis 120 Years of THE ARGOSY — The World’s First Pulp Magazine.

Doug Ellis aka The Shadow Presenter gives a talk on 120 years of the Argosy
Doug Ellis aka The Shadow Presenter gives a talk on 120 years of the Argosy

A surprise pulp cover I encountered at a restaurant near the venue:


Sport Story cover poster in a restaurant near the Pulpfest venue
Sport Story cover poster in a restaurant near the Pulpfest venue

Lastly, an advertising banner that was used at a newsagent's for Western Story magazine

A advertising banner that was used at a newsagent's for Western Story magazine
A advertising banner that was used at a newsagent's for Western Story magazine

Later, i'll post some pictures of the loot I gathered there.

7 comments:

  1. Sai, it was great talking to you and I'll see you in November at Bordentown's Pulp Adventurecon. I hope to post my convention report soon on the Mystery File blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I agree, another great PULPFEST (maybe it should be renamed PULPFEST CELEBRATIONS, HaHa).

    The shown FLASH GORDON STRANGE ADVENTURE MAGAZINE - Dec. 1936 (First and Only One-Shot) was the issue I picked up for my own collection an hour or so Saturday evening before the Dealers Room closed up.
    I figured most of the dealers would be packing up/gone by Sunday (and I would be on my way back to NY Saturday night/early Sunday morning (2:00 AM - 2:30 AM-ish, having to be back to work by Sunday 10:30 PM) so this would be my only chance to pick up a copy. Being the 'last' day and hour of dealing it was picked up for a nice price. This was my one 'really big purchase' of the show (I try for 1 - 3 really nice items each PULPFEST). Seeing the great condition in person, rather than some eBay scan, this was a "Must Buy" for my collection. Bookery states it as being "Rare": only a couple of dozen copies "may" exist, so I'd say 24 - 50 copies maybe.

    I see that you also took photographs of my copies of GANSTER STORIES - Oct.1930 and UNDERWORLD DETECTIVE - July 1935 (last issue of title) that I brought along to for showing. I don't recall them being photographed... I should have taken them out of their plastic.

    I'll have to finish downloading the 250+ photographs I took of the show and post them somewhere, other than my PULP_MAGAZINES Group.

    Now another whole year to wait and save up for...

    ENJOY PULPS - David Lee Smith
    (I purchased my very first original artwork (interior) used in a Pulp too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,

      Good to hear from you and was fun to meet you at PulpFest. Usually, i see collectors focused on specific interests - by genre, by publisher, by author etc. It was really a change to meet someone like you who has broader interests - the rare, unusual stuff that appeared on the newsstand from time to time and made browsing such fun.

      You also point out one of the big pluses of the pulp conventions - getting to see magazines in person and then deciding to buy them. Any description of a pulp online is incomplete, and there's nothing like lifting one and seeing it close at hand.

      You should post more photos from your collection. I'll be looking forward to it and i'm guessing that others do too.

      Delete
    2. I saw David Lee Smith taking many photos, so I'll be looking forward to seeing them. I see that he also obtained his first piece of pulp art. It's very important to have examples of original art to go along with your collection. I once owned a copy of FLASH GORDON STRANGE ADVENTURE but it's long gone in some forgotten trade. I remember it as being largely unreadable and I guess that's why it only lasted one issue.

      Delete
  3. Sai, it was wonderful to see you at the convention. Thanks for making the long trek from the Pacific Northwest to support "Summer's AMAZING Pulp Con." Your support is very much appreciated. I'm glad you had a fun show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, Thanks for organizing the convention - as always, great fun to visit and i did walk away with a couple of suitcases full of books. Had a great time there, and looking forward to next year.

      Delete